John Manuel



Costs are listed on the"Weddings" page, and on "Other Services" where applicable.

If you are shopping on cost alone, please be very careful.  Your wedding day is one of the most important events in your life.  You need to have reliable service in every aspect of your wedding, including the Officiant.

Area Served

Although my office is in Oshawa, I am happy to perform weddings within a very wide area, including:

Toronto from Scarborough to Etobicoke, Markham, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa, Clarington, and other points within the GTA.

I do not charge any additional for distance travelled.

Types of Weddings

Any type of non-religious wedding can be arranged.  If you wish to include religious material in your ceremony, we can work together to "secularize" it.  Many quotations from religious sources do not actually refer to deities; for example, the well-known "Love is" excerpt from Corinthians.

I welcome people from all national, cultural and religious backgrounds and sexual orientations. Ontario recognises same-sex marriages, and so do I.

What is the procedure?

A personal interview with you both will help me discover what kind of ceremony you would like, and to review your personal preferences and tastes.  A non-refundable deposit of $100 will confirm the date and time.

Wedding ceremonies can be composed from your own resources and from selections I can provide.  This is "Your Wedding ... Your Way."  We can include almost any material you like to personalize your wedding as much as you desire.  Many couples like to compose their own vows or include special readings or memorials.

A personal interview will allow discussion of your ideas.  Then we can begin developing the script for the ceremony, with the final draft approved by you at least a week before the wedding date.

This will be "Your Wedding ... Your Way."

Marriage licence

A marriage licence, obtained at your local municipal office, is valid for only three calendar months from its issue date; so, to be safe you should obtain the licence no sooner than 10 weeks before the wedding date. 

The licence, when signed on the wedding day, is mailed to Ontario for entry into their Marriage Registry database.  A portion of the licence also becomes a temporary "Record of Solemnization," that you can use to change driver's licences, health cards, etc. (and, of course, to obtain the Bridal Suite on your honeymoon!) 

A few weeks after the wedding (we recommend 10-12 weeks in the summer), when Ontario has entered your details into their database, you can apply for a formal Certificate of Marriage.  I will guide you through these procedures.